Arts & Literature
Arts & Literature
There is much to explore when it comes to arts and literature in Wirral. Here are some ideas:
Step inside Port Sunlight Museum and Village and meet the village's creator, 'Soap King' William Hesketh Lever. Discover his vision for the village and its residents.
The Lady Lever Art Gallery in the picture perfect village of Port Sunlight, houses one of the most beautiful collections of fine and decorative art in the UK and includes many world famous Pre Raphaelite artworks, Chinese ceramics and Wedgwood jasperware.
The collections represent the personal taste of the first Lord Leverhulme who began buying art in the late 1880s. The Gallery also holds a number of national touring exhibitions and an activity room for children.
The Williamson Art Gallery in Birkenhead houses a prestigious art collection within its beautifully proportioned galleries. Paintings of all sorts, especially British watercolours and work by local artists, join highlights of the decorative arts collections like Liverpool Porcelain and Birkenhead's own contribution to the Arts & Crafts Movement, the Della Robbia Pottery. There are also a number of temporary exhibitions throughout the year.
Brimstage Hall Courtyard has an eclectic group of shops selling crafts, art, gifts and more.
The Floral Pavilion Theatre & Conference in New Brighton is Wirral’s largest and most flexible multi-purpose venue providing a broad-based programme of events and activities designed to appeal to a wide cross section of visitors.
The Light Cinema in New Brighton: an 8 screen cinema with state of the art digital picture and sound auditorium, which hosts a range of special events and can host private screenings.
Shore Cottage Studio is a working artists' studio uniquely situated in Wirral Peninsula, with unrivalled views over the Dee Estuary to North Wales. The house and studio are cut off by tides twice a day, and these varying tides, open views, and exposure to the elements make Shore Cottage Studio and its immediate environment an ever changing, exciting, dynamic, inspirational space.
- Festival of Firsts is an arts festival that takes place every July, in and around Hoylake. Music poetry, art and more over several days.
- Heswall Arts Festival is a fortnight of music, comedy, drama, literature, dance, art and a range of other activities at venues throughout Heswall, each October.
- The International Guitar Festival is the oldest and largest annual guitar festival in Britain, which takes place at the Floral Pavilion in New Brighton each November. The programme illuminates the breadth and scope of the guitar, highlighting its importance within every musical genre. With appearances from great artists, workshops and free concerts there really is something for everybody.
- A range of music and poetry events also take place at Fort Perch Rock in New Brighton throughout the year
- Ness Botanic Gardens holds several outdoor theatre events throughout the summer