Walk: West Kirby & Caldy Hill
This is a varied walk from West Kirby taking in the Wirral Way, Ashton Park, spectacular views from Caldy Hill and the path around West Kirby Marine Lake.
Start: Outside West Kirby Railway Station.
Distance: Just over 4 miles. Allow 2-5 hours.
Parking: Pay and display car park next to Morrisons supermarket in Dee Lane or behind the railway station, in the Concourse car park.
Buses and trains: Buses stop outside West Kirby Railway Station which is the end of the Wirral line from Liverpool and Chester.
1. If you are starting from the car park next to Morrisons, turn up right and up Dee Lane and West Kirby Railway Station will be in front of you. Facing the railway station, turn right along Grange Road. On your right, just opposite Orrysdale Road you will see the entrance to the Wirral Way next to the Wirral Country Park noticeboard.
2. Head down the Wirral Way and after a few minutes you will see Ashton Park. The children's playground is on your right. Fork right by the playground, then left and go over the green painted bridge which crosses the Wirral Way.
3. Once over the bridge there are three paths, take the middle one through an avenue of young trees. Go out of the park gates and straigh ahead up Rectory Road.
4. At the corner, turn left onto the public footpath over the stone stile.
5. At the top of that path, locally known as Echo Lane, cross the road and up the steps to Caldy Hill and the Mariners Column.
6. Turn right and follow the public footpath. There are numerous smll tracks leading off the main path on Caldy Hill, ignore them and continue straight on. After 300 metres, pass a set of old gate posts and then a seat on your left, continue straight on.
7. After 50 metres the path goes over a small rock, take the right fork.
8. Pass the fenced white house on your right and continue straight on.
9. Pass the yellow fire hydrant (no.4) on your left, continue straight on, then up over the brow of the hill.
10. At the 'firebeaters' sign, bear left on the path and after 150 metres the path leads to the top of a rocky outcrop where there is a seat.
11. Pas through a gap in an old sandstone wall and past three seats by some pine trees.
12. Pass through a gap in another wall, through a gate off the hill and walk straight ahead into Kings Drive and along the grass verge.
13. After about 150 metres at the side of 'Pine Ridge', take the public bridleway locally known as Fleck Lane on the right and down the hill. At Caldy Road, take care due to lack of visibility. Turn right and walk along past the old hospital on the right, into Caldy Village.
14. Opposite the Church after Croft Drive fork left down the bridleway to the road below. Turn right.
15. Walk along the road to the entrance to Wirral Country Park on your right.
16. Follow the path until you reach the small bridge on the left that takes you over a ditch and onto Cubbins Green with delightful views across The Dee Estuary and West Kirby Marine Lake. Walk along the cliff edge path past the bench and picnic area.
17. At the end of Cubbins Green you will come to Macdona Drive. Here you will have a choice, at low tide you can take to the beach and head towards West Kirby Sailing Club, or head down Macdona Drive and at Sandy Lane turning left to the promenade.
18. At the promenad, you can: 1. Take the path around the Marine Lake or 2. Walk along South Parade keeping the Marine Lake on the left. At the north end of the lake return to the bottom of Dee Lane by Morrisons.